Ways to Balance the Root Chakra
Just like you have bones and muscles, you also have an energy. This energetic vibration is referred to as the chakra system. There are seven chakras starting at the bottom of your spine to the crown of your head, and each corresponds with physical, emotional, spiritual and psychological circumstances that show up in your life. The base of all the chakras is muladhara, the root chakra, which is located at the base of your spine. It is associated with the feeling of safety, security and being grounded. This is the core of all the other chakras, the base of your energy house.
More About the Root Chakra:
It’s Sanskrit name, muladhara, breaks down like this: mula means “root” and adhara means “support” or “base.” The root chakra is linked to family, community, instinct, ability to be grounded, structure and survival. Like a tree or a house, a solid foundation provides stability, which leads to safety, joy and abundance.
When The Root Chakra is Balanced:
You feel grounded, secure and safe. You don’t worry as much because you know life is filled with abundance. You feel contentment, happiness and inner peace. You have more compassion and patience towards yourself and those in your life. A balanced root chakra brings emotional stability and a sense of being able to cope with anything you encounter. You feel aligned with who you are and where you are going.
When the Root Chakra is Imbalanced:
You may feel emotional instability that shows up in the form of anxiety, fear, stress or nightmares. Physically you may experience issues in your colon, bladder, lower back or legs. You may feel a lack of grounding and like you bounce from one thing to the next without proper attention to self-care. You may feel tired or overwhelmed, like you’re overcommitted. An imbalanced root chakra can lead to feeling lethargic, defeated or overwhelmed. You desire more stability and grounding.
Here Are Ways to Balance the Root Chakra:
- Do Yoga – postures like mountain, yogi squat, wide legged forward fold, ragdoll, all warrior poses, half splits, crescent moon, tree pose, bridge and savasana help balance the root chakra. Focus on feeling grounded and stable, while pulling/pressing the base of your spine towards the mat or ground. Focus your energy towards your connection point with the mat or ground, and take deep breaths.
- Grounding Activities – try spending time outside barefoot, specifically in water, grass or sand. Go for a walk or do tree pose in the park. Close your eyes and dance. Allow yourself to feel free and safe. Spend time in meditation focusing on deep inhales and exhales, and connecting to foundational words.
Eat Earthy, Nourishing Foods – eat fulfilling, high-protein foods or foods that are good for the immune system and adrenal glands. Think mushrooms, spinach, ginger, almonds and green tea. Incorporate root vegetables and red foods such as beets, strawberries, raspberries, sweet potatoes and carrots.
Engage the Senses - the color red is associated with the root chakra so consider wearing more of this color, meditating around the color red or even including something red at your desk. Explore different earthy and grounding scents such as angelica root, cedarwood, frankincense, oakmoss and patchouli. I like this Aura Cacia blend.
Listen to Music – the power of music is real. Not only can music help with stress reduction and relaxation, but there are many songs associated with grounding, strength and stability. Spend some time finding songs that make you feel joy and safety. To hear my root chakra playlist on Spotify, click here.
In the Month of June, all of my yoga classes will focus on balancing the root chakra. See my class schedule here and join us on the mat. Additionally, through The Yoga Room’s partnership with North Market in North Minneapolis, I’ve secured discounts on foods associated with the root chakra this month. Please see the discount schedule below and stop in for a donation-based yoga class at North Market every Wednesday at 9 am. I’d love to meet you!
North Market Root Chakra Food Discount Schedule for June 2018:
- Week of June 10th – 16th: Sweet Potatoes. 99lb.
- Week of June 17th -23rd: 2# Cello Carrots 2/$3
- Week of June 24th -30th: Organic Red and Gold Beets $1.99lb.
- Strawberries and Raspberries will be value priced all month
Special thanks to North Market for their support!
Comment below with what you do to stay grounded.